Parents You Can Be a Great Resource!
It’s hard to believe that your child will be graduating soon. It seems like just yesterday they were playing in the sandbox and eating dirt, without a care in the world.
Now, they are facing big decisions – choosing a college or university to attend, or choosing a career path to study or immediately pursue.
So what can you do as a parent to help them make these decisions? Although it may seem overwhelming for the both of you, it’s easier than you think. Below are some tips for you to help guide their new career exploration:
1. Help your child identify their interests. Research shows that people are more satisfied with their career choice if it is based on their interests rather than salary.
2. When advising them about the best options for their future, account for their educational budget and potential outcome, as well as their interests so that they will be better prepared for success after high school.
3. Be non-judgmental. Go ahead and make suggestions about jobs, skills, trades or careers – but let your child be the ultimate judge of what’s best.
4. Help them write a resume and cover letter. If you’re not a “resume pro” yourself, check out the resume link in our Resources tab on the main menu.
5. Help your child find an internship, job shadow or apprenticeship opportunity. It’s incredibly beneficial for them to get in the trenches and see what a career in the nursery and landscape industry is all about. There’s no better way to discover if a career is for you than to try it on for size! You might even find an internship opportunity in our Jobs tab on the main menu.